Buying coffee beans, each of us anticipates how he will enjoy a rich taste and noble aroma. But even if the recipe is followed, the drink sometimes does not live up to expectations: it turns out to be too bitter or too liquid, and even worse – it smells like burnt coffee. Do not immediately blame the manufacturer or seller – often the reason for the failure lies in the wrong grinding of coffee.
- RETRO STYLE: Our PC Series Cezve/Ibrik (copper coffee pot) is made of a single sheet of copper. It is designed to make a perfect more cup of Greek/Turkish/Arabian Coffee. It is a combination of retro style and modern design, so it will perfectly fit any design of the kitchen.
- HAND MADE: All production steps by experienced craftsmen are completely hand made. This cezve’s body is completely solid engraved copper, bottom of cezve is hammered copper, and nonreactive tin linings on the inside. It has premium cast solid bronze handle with maximum durability. It has a hand made wooden handle that can be easily detachable.
- MAXIMUM DURABILITY: This cezve/ibrik (copper coffee pot) is very convenient in use, does not require special care. You can be assured this will last for many generations unlike other thin imitations found on Amazon. The PC Series cezve is made of the thickest copper available. Thus, it has maximum durability.
- USAGE AREA: You can use it in electric/gas stove top hobs. You can also easily use it in hot sand, which is very popular in recent days. It is better to follow the instructions for longer life.
- PC Series cezve/ibrik was produced in Turkey by craftsmen with a century of experience in copper industry at The Silk Road Trade Copper Factory. You will find the The Silk Road Trade touchmark on the bottom of every handcrafted The Silk Road Trade copper piece.
Dependence of coffee taste on the degree of grinding of beans
When brewing coffee, ground grains are extracted: the essential oils, caffeine and other compounds that form the taste and aroma of the drink contained in them are dissolved in hot water. The finer the grains are ground, the greater the total surface area of the particles and the faster the substances contained in them are washed out.
It would seem from this that a very fine grind is the shortest path to success. But the problem is that the dissolution rate of different substances is not the same.
Coffee extraction takes place in 3 stages:
- Release of substances responsible for the characteristic sourness inherent in Arabica.
- Dissolving compounds in water that give the drink sweet, chocolate and fruit-berry notes.
- Increase in bitterness due to saturation of the drink with tannins, caffeine, decomposition products of chlorogenic acid.
The length of the steps depends on the coffee preparation method. For example, whenbrewing espresso each stage takes 8-10 seconds, and if you prepare coffee in a French press, it will take more than a minute (total preparation time is 4-5 minutes).
The finer the grinding of the grains, the faster the first two stages pass and the last one begins. If you do not interrupt the extraction in time, the coffee will turn out to be too strong and bitter.
Grades (types) of coffee grinding
There are 5 main degrees of coffee grinding:
- ultrafine grinding (pulverized, or “into dust”) – ground coffee resembles ground cinnamon;
- fine espresso grind – like iodized salt;
- fine (fine grind) – like coarsely ground powdered sugar;
- medium (medium grind) – like sugar;
- coarse (course grind, coarse) – like sea salt.
Grinding coffee for brewing in a cup
If you don’t have a coffee maker at hand, you can brew a drink in a cup: the method is called “Warsaw style”. Ground coffee is poured with hot water, stirred, covered with a saucer and insisted for several minutes. The more the grains are crushed, the better.
Starbucks even makes ultrafine vacuum-packed coffee especially for brewing in a cup, advertising it as a substitute for instant coffee. This coffee grind is very good for brewing in a cup. But if it is impossible to grind the grains “into dust”, the usual fine grinding will do.
Grinding coffee for turks
In a Turk, it is supposed to brew ultrafine coffee. The grain particles form a suspension, which makes the drink appear thicker. You need to wait a bit until it settles. At home, it is almost impossible to grind grain so thinly. You either have to buy ready-made ultrafine coffee or grind it in specialized stores. It is advisable to use coffee powder as quickly as possible: it fizzles out within a few hours.
Fine and medium ground coffee is also suitable for making a drink in a Turk.
- 6 Pieces Turkish Greek Arabic Coffee Set for 1.
- 1 Engraved Thick Copper Coffee Pot by DEMMEX. Capacity : 8 Oz. (Makes 2-3 Turkish Cups of Turkish Coffee)
- 1 Porcelain Coffee/Espresso Cup with Metal Saucer,Lid & Cup Holder. Capacity : 2 Oz.
- 1 Wooden Coffee Spoon for the Copper Pot.
- 100% Handmade in Turkey. Comes with the Gift Box seen on the photos.
Grinding espresso coffee
Especially for coffee machines, a fine espresso grind was invented: a little finer than the usual fine, but larger than the superfine.
You cannot use superfine coffee for brewing espresso: the drink turns out to be bitter, with the smell of burnt beans, and small particles clog the filters of the coffee machines.
Experienced baristas recommend:
- grind the coffee coarser at high humidity, low temperature and atmospheric pressure;
- for low humidity, high temperature and atmospheric pressure use a finer grind.
At high humidity, the particles swell and stick to each other. The pre-wetting time is shortened, tannins begin to be released earlier, and if the beans are ground too finely, the coffee will taste bitter. In hot weather, natural moisture evaporates from the grains, due to which the pre-wetting period increases. If the coffee is ground too coarsely, the drink will have a noticeable sourness.
There are no standards for fine espresso grinding. It is selected empirically: coffee is brewed and the extraction rate is evaluated. The ideal time to brew 25 ml of espresso is 25 seconds, with an error of ± 3 seconds. You need to stock up on electronic scales and a stopwatch. The cup, into which the coffee flows, is placed on the balance.
If the drink flows out slowly (25 ml is not drawn in 28 seconds), and the trickle is too thin or intermittent, then the grind is too fine. If a portion of espresso is produced in less than 22 seconds, it means that the grinding is coarse, the water only washes away the particles, and the drink becomes weak. In this case, the grinder is adjusted to reduce the particle size.
Grinding coffee for geyser coffee maker and aeropress
To brew coffee in a geyser coffee maker or aeropressgrind should be fine or medium (size of fraction – like cane sugar). The finer the grind, the stronger the coffee, but the extra fine powder clogs the airpress filter.
Coffee grinding for pourovers and kemex
It is believed that medium grind coffee is suitable for pourovers: slightly coarser than for an aeropress. If disposable paper filters are used, then the grinding can be thinner, as long as the water passes through the thick. But in pourovers with metal or fabric filters, finely ground coffee cannot be brewed: the particles of the beans fall through the holes.
To prepare a drink in a kemex, the grains are ground even coarser than for a pourover (the fractions should be the size of large sugar crystals).
- TURKISH COFFE POT, It’s All Made of Thick Copper. Outside is Hammered, Completely Handmade.Perfect for Turkish Coffee Pot, Greek Coffee Pot, Arabic Coffee Pot, Briki, Milk Pot, Small Sauce Pan or Butter Melter. SPECIAL DESIGN, Strong and Ergonomic Handle, Food Safe Tin Lining Inside.Handle can get hot, please use oven mitts.
- SPECIAL DESIGN Large Coffee Pot, Engraved Copper Body, Food Safe Tin Lining Inside, Premium Brass Engraved Handle to hold and will not get hot.
- SUITABLE for 2-3 people for Turkish Coffee Demistasse. 6.7 oz (200 ml) Capacity, The handle length is 4 1/4 inch (10.8 cm), Mouth Diameter: 2 5/8 inch (6.7 cm), Depth: 3 inch (7.6 cm)
- INCLUDES Special 6-Grams Single Serve Coffee and Small Copper Pot. For the long and complicated shipping processes, if the products you received are broken, please contact us ASAP. We guarantee to offer you a replacement.
- 3PCs COPPER SHINING PADS are Free: Tarnish is a thin layer of corrosion that naturally develops on the outermost layer of copper. When you see the dark tinge of tarnish on your copper, simple hand washing may not suffice to remove it. Specially formulated copper shinning pad are your safest option for polishing copper.
Grinding coffee for drip coffee makers
In drip coffee makers, it is customary to brew coffee, ground coarser than for Chemex, but slightly finer than coarse grinding.
Exactly the same grind is good for cupping (brewing in a cup) in Brazilian: open way. Coffee is poured into a cup, poured with hot water and stirred. After 4 minutes, remove the floating particles of the thick with a spoon.
Grinding coffee for a French press
Usually, coffee of the coarsest grinding is recommended for brewing in a French press: fractions should reach the size of crystals of sea salt or even pearl barley. But a drink made from grains of such grinding has a slightly sour taste, which not everyone likes.
A French press with a nylon filter can brew medium-ground coffee. If you buy an American press, then even thinner ground grains will do. This modification of the French press is equipped with a special chamber for coffee. An airpress filter is placed in it, and particles do not enter the drink.
- PERFECT for Turkish Coffee, 100% HandMade, Thickest Engraved Copper Turkish Coffee Pot with Wooden Handle. Made in Turkey. A Very Authentic Piece.
- SPECIAL DESIGN: Engraved Copper Body, Food Safe Tin Lining Inside, Pearl Embedded Wooden Premium Handle. Our products are made by hand, small imperfections / differences in shape, size and colour can happen and are part of the charm of a handmade product. This part of the handmade process is what makes our products unique and should not be seen as a fault. They will never affect the overall aesthetic of the product and its ability for use as intended.
- HIGH QUALITY: It’s All Made of Thick Copper. Outside is Hammered, Completely Handmade. EASY to Use, Clean and Storage. You can Rinse and Dry After Each Use. Do not Wash in the Dishwasher for a Long Lifetime. Not suitable for induction stove top.
- SUITABLE for 7-8 cups (finjan) of Turkish Coffee. 20 oz (580 ml) Capacity. The handle length is 8 inches (20 cm), Mouth Diameter: 3 inches (7.6 cm), Base Diameter: 4 1/2 inches (11.4 cm), Depth: 4 inches (10.1 cm)
- INCLUDES Special 6-PCs x 6-Grams Single Serve Coffee and XL Copper Engraved Pot