Espresso is just coffee and water. However, high-quality espresso is able to do the unimaginable, from one sip you fall into ecstasy, from two it takes you to a wonderful country, a small portion, dense, rich, but at the same time descriptors are easily identified in the taste, like peach or chocolate, if the grain is simpler. But espresso is always sweet, even if no one added sugar, if you see someone adding sugar to espresso, you should know that there is not espresso there, but some substance that can be called coffee at a stretch.
With Velocity Brew – our traditional quick brewing brewers – water is kept at the optimal brewing temperature in an internal hot water tank. This means it’s ready to brew when you are and deliver delicious, hot coffee in about 3 minutes.
Espresso is the most complex and expensive coffee drink. Here is the most expensive equipment, in order to make a good espresso, you need to prepare and throw out the espresso that did not work out several times, the consumption of coffee per 100 ml of the finished drink is the highest here, not to mention the additional costs for education and electricity.
Strictly speaking, bothering with espresso at home is not very rational, only the brave and those who really know how to make money can do it.
In other cases, I recommend taking an automatic coffee machine or a capsule coffee maker with quality coffee if you drink coffee a couple of times a week and do not take a steam bath.
A coffee machine if you drink coffee regularly. Capsule if rare. Take care of the quality of the water and grain to make a delicious “espresso”.
You will have to buy high-quality accessories: a pitcher if you drink coffee and milk drinks, tempera is a must, baking powder and leveler are optional, high-quality scales are a must.
Since I love good coffee, one day I realized that in my city no one is interested in brewing a delicious espresso and getting overwhelmed with the grind setting, when you can put down coffee in your panties with a hangover, pour coffee into the horn with a hangover, crush it with your finger, cook some kind of liquid and mix her with sugar and normul. And people will be willing to pay for this. If they buy, why bother and do better, just for the sake of one or two people? Therefore, I bought a coffee maker and everything else, took a couple of master classes from a good Moscow barista and started making coffee myself, then I stopped, as I switched to an alternative, and sold the coffee equipment.
Here’s what the baristas told me, I will try to convey here.
The most important thing in a quality espresso is the grinder. In my blog, I have already talked a few aboutthe importance of the grinder and grain-to-grain grinding, but only in the aspect of alternative brewing, and for espresso this is especially important.
Baratza is a company that makes good coffee grinders “for home”, compact, not very noisy, simple.
- Specialty brew: Brew super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiato, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse style drinks
- Iced coffee: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful iced coffee that’s never watered down
- 6 brew sizes: Brew anything from a single cup or travel size to a half carafe or a full carafe in your coffee maker
- Fold away frother: Turns hot or cold milk into silky smooth froth. Cord length (feet) – 2.5
- SCA certified home brewer
When making espresso, hot water passes under pressure, which means that the water will not have time to boil out the required amount of substances from large particles, and water will pull out more than necessary from small particles, depending on which particles are larger, this will also taste drinks, and since visually all particles are the same, it is impossible to understand how to cook.
Channeling is not entirely about different coffee particles, but the scheme works.
If everything else is done right, take the very best grain, but grind it up and we get a terrible drink. Medium grains, but grinded well, can produce something decent if you do ± well the rest of the items. Therefore, if someone is going to open a coffee shop, they are advised to find a good place, then invest in a coffee grinder, and the rest of the things: design, training, marketing, coffee maker, dishes, baked goods “later”.
The coffee grinder can be manual, it can be electric, with conical burrs or flat. This does not make a significant difference in the preparation of espresso, the main thing is that it gives out an even grind and has a micrometric adjustment step, without any clicks.
A rozhkovy coffee maker and a coffee grinder – they look interesting and are always cheaper in money than a coffee maker and a coffee grinder of comparable quality. It seems to me that it is better not to risk it and buy a separate coffee grinder.
Italian coffee makers are considered the best.
Italian coffee makers are the best!
If you don’t understand and the budget allows, I would take the one-group La Marzoko. If the budget is much less, I would consider in this order worthy coffee makers: Nuova Simoneli Oscar II (she has one drawback, she heats up for 20-35 minutes), Lelit Anita or Anna, Lelit Gilda and Lelit Keith (all Lelita boilers, they warm up for 10 minutes). It is very useful to go through master classes in various coffee organizations in order to understand how which coffee machine works and choose the best one for yourself.
La Marzoko Home is the best coffee maker for my taste for the home. Fabulously expensive, of course.
All in all, little is required from a coffee maker. So that it does not break down at the most inopportune moment. A coffee maker for a bar must be able to withstand a tough operation, such as making 40-50 cups of espresso per hour for 12 hours of operation, this is not required from a home coffee maker. But a home coffee maker should be ready to go pretty quickly and not go to hell with energy.
The key requirement for a coffee maker is to “not lose temperature” of water, or rather not to lose it much. The water comes out of the boiler, enters the group, passes the horn with coffee, the dispenser, pours down onto the cup, each stage takes a part of the temperature. 50-60 degrees is considered optimal for drinking. But the water in the horn should be ≈ 92-93 ° С.
Raw material: water
Any coffee is 98% or more water, it is foolish to deny that the taste and quality of water will not affect the taste of coffee.
Here, in general, everything is simple: soft, clean.
Tap water is not suitable – bleach, all kinds of salts in the pipes. Additional cleaning required.
The best solution is osmotic filters, or reverse osmosis filters. Then comes bottled water (some brands), after filter jugs.
Fortunately, these filters do not cost exorbitant money, but require attention to maintenance, as they need to be cleaned regularly.
Raw material: coffee
The taste of coffee depends not only on the coffee beans and their roasting, but it is natural to expect that we will not get good coffee from bad beans, even if we do everything else perfectly.
- Fastest 10-Cup Home Coffeemaker brews a full pot of coffee in about 3 minutes
- An always hot internal hot water is ready to brew hot coffee on deman. Item dimensions is 14.8 high x 7.1 wide x 13.8 deep inch. Note-replace sprayhead and brew funnel. Pour additional carafes of fresh, cold water into the brewer as needed until water has no vinegar smell or tasted
- Exclusive drip-free carafe with a proprietary lid and spout design that arcs the pour of the coffee into the cup and wicks the coffee dribbles back into the carafe preventing a mess on cup or counter
- Multi-stream spray head showers hot water evenly over the coffee grounds
- Large flat bottom filter and funnel allows greater interaction between hot water and coffee grounds for superior flavor extraction
- Brews 4 to 10 cups (20 to 50 ounce). 3-year warranty
- Backed by BUNN customer service in Springfield, Illinois
- Based on internal testing of BUNN Speed Brew/ Velocity Brew coffeemakers to other similar coffeemakers
But medium grains can make a decent drink if everything else is done well.
Italians prefer dark-roasted Arabica and Robusta blends.
Russian coffee makers and baristas recommend a “closer to medium” clean roast.
In general, the rule is this – under espresso they fried more strongly than under the alternative.
For pure espresso, they prefer to use coffee, in the taste of which fruit and berry descriptors are read. For coffee and milk drinks, coffee is recommended, in the taste of which you can read chocolate-nut descriptors. But it’s more about taste and color.
Seen from the outside, making espresso is easy, but there are a few nuances.
I took the horn from the included espresso coffee maker (the horn should be hot by this time, you can pass hot water through the horn to lose the water temperature less).
I put the horn on the scale and zeroed the weight.
Ground coffee from a coffee grinder. Didn’t pour out of the pack. I didn’t “let it down” from the bunker, but grinded it. For a single espresso, grind 7 grams.
Loosening and leveling coffee, including with the help of special devices: baking powder and leveler. Cheap grinders will clump the coffee when grinding, and these clumps can become dense patches in the coffee pill that water will not pass through.
Coffee leveler, baking powder looks almost the same, only instead of grooves, a row of needles
Tempering coffee – or ramming it. One of the most important steps, here it is important to make the coffee tablet even and dense so that the water “does not find” a place for an “easy” path. No tapping on the horn after tempering. No polishing coffee pill.
Gently inserted the horn into the coffee maker, without knocking or jerking the coffee maker.
I put a cup of espresso on the scale, zeroed the scale and press the spill button.
- COFFEE, LATTES & CAPPUCCINOS: Use any K-Cup pod to brew coffee, or make delicious lattes and cappuccinos.
- SIMPLE BUTTON CONTROLS: Just insert any K-Cup pod and use the button controls to brew delicious coffee, or make hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.
- LARGE 60oz WATER RESERVOIR: Allows you to brew 6 cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine. Removable reservoir makes refilling easy.
- SMART START: Your coffee maker heats, then brews in one simple process. No need to wait for it to heat before selecting your cup size.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Programmable auto off feature automatically turns your brewer off 2 hours after the last brew for energy savings.
- TRAVEL MUG FRIENDLY: Accommodates travel mugs up to 7.2” tall and is top rack dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
- COMPATIBLE WITH THE MY K-CUP UNIVERSAL REUSABLE COFFEE FILTER: Brew your own ground coffee (sold separately).